Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Oregon, My Love....

There are many things in my life that I am proud of. Proud that I have the ability and mental capacity to raise two children: an infant and a toddler. Proud that I have a steady job that pays well (even if I don't always love it). Proud that there is a roof over my head, clothes on mine and my children's backs and food in our tummies.

I am also proud of where I live.

I was born in Portland, Oregon.

I was raised in Portland, Oregon.

My mom was born and raised in Portland, Oregon.

Oregon is my home. My place. Oregon is me. I am Oregon.

I am an Oregonian.

Growing up, I loved all the trees and the smell of freshly cut grass and birds chirping in the spring. To be honest, I have taken for granted all of those things. All my life I figured that this was normal for the entire world, when it clearly is not. Not all of the cities in the world have as many trees as we do. There isn't always grass to cut.

As my children grow and learn, I want them to appreciate the finer things this state has to offer. Beach trips are frequent, and while the water isn't as warm as Cali or Florida, the sweet simplicity of the waves crashing are enough to appreciate.

We have hippies and tree huggers and more bicycles then you can imagine. In fact, I think with all the new laws that have been put into effect over the years, bicyclists have more rights on the road than cars do.

Downtown is gorgeous, from a distance.  Some say downtown in general is beauty, but there is so much sadness walking down the streets, seeing those with no homes huddled under the stoops of buildings for warmth.  I, personally, don't frequent downtown for that reason.

No state is perfect. Oregon has her fair share of flaws. There are too many people without homes, and too many addicted to drugs. Oregon has an epidemic meth problem, with epidemic consequences. The highways haven't been expanded since I can remember, but the growth of Oregon is far beyond my stretch of mind. Soon, we may be faced with the same traffic problems like that of Los Angeles, Ca. (ok that may be a far-fetched statement, but you get the picture).

Despite all of the flaws, Oregon is amazing. No other word, really. This is my state, and I love it!



(Not to mention in Oregon people pump your gas for you and there is no sales tax!)

1 comments:

Amanda said...

I was born in Medford, OR and left as a baby. I was raised in California, but something brought me back here in 2007 to raise my family. Portland is beautiful, and sadly the only times we've really been there is when our cardiac baby has been mediflighted there... however, we are planning a trip there and the Northern coast this summer. I love Oregon. I don't call my self and Orgonian yet, because I still consider myself an Californian, but this is our home now and Ashland has a HUGE part of my heart.

PS ~ I'm @GaribaySoup from twitter :)